Tuesday, June 20, 2017

My Random Thoughts on the WWE

 If you know me you know I am a huge wrestling fan, I gained a interest in wrestling when I was 11 years old around the time seeds of the attitude era were being planted before it skyrocketed. I follow all wrestling in some capacity ring of honor, TNA, independents, highlights of New Japan. Of course WWE is the big dog and I wanted to give my random thoughts on some of their relevant current events.
  While I know it's consistently difficult to have interesting 3 hour events every Monday Night, Raw for the most part does a fair job. I’m not a fan of Brock Lesnar at all but I think his match against Samoa Joe has some great potential to be a true knock em down brawl as evident by their pull apart fight last week. With the return of Braun Strowman who should steamroll through Roman Reigns(who I’m a fan of) I would like to see Strowman vs. Brock or even a triple threat between Strowman, Brock, and Joe at Summerslam. With Strowman or Joe taking the WWE universal title for two reasons, first for the sake of something fresh as far as a new intimidating champion. Also for the Universal championship to mean something a champion needs to defend it at all cost and you know actually be around.
   Recently The Miz recruited talented but going nowhere fast guys Curtis Axel and Bo Dallas to join him in his fight against Dean Ambrose. Those two have been going at it for months back and their rivalry should be winding down soon. I’m looking forward to Miz and his entourage which the wwe will probably give a silly name like the “Miz-tourage” but it has potential to be hilarious especially if Curtis and Bo play caricatures of entourage members. Also once The Miz ends his feud with Dean and Goldust is finished with R-truth, a feud between The Miz and Goldust with their respective movie star roles could be really fun and exciting if done right.
   Lastly on Raw I am against the break up of Enzo and Big Cass, both are talented guys but I feel they need each other to really succeed. I hear rumors Big Cass is in line for a big push (mostly due to his size and Vince Mcmahons love of big guys.) I don't think he can pull of it by himself but hopefully I’m wrong. Their act had grown stale but they could have benefitted from a heel turn using their same overbearing in your face personas just dialed up a little. I could be wrong but that move was a big mistake by WWE.
   Over at Smackdown which overall is a consistently better show they have a few hiccups. I like Jinder Mahal and don't mind him being the WWE world champion as it's something different and people always ask for something fresh and complain when the freshness occurs. I like the Singh Brothers being his associates but his anti-American act is hella old and overdone, Kevin Owens pretty much has the same persona with a few tweaks. Speaking of anti-American characters when the hell is Rusev coming back?
   Jinder Mahal may not be a top tier wrestler but he’s decent and is trying. Besides in my opinion his act is holding him back, I could see potential if his act was he's very proud of his heritage but he's so over the top and in your face about his heritage. If making Jinder a star was the plan maybe he should have went against someone who could assist in that aspect. I like Randy Orton but his act is stale as well and he’s not the type of guy who can elevate his opponent and make them look good while teaching him ways to improve at the same time.
    The Woman's division recently had the first ever woman's money in the bank match which was a great match ruined by a horrible finish. Both Raw and Smackdown have great woman wrestlers but right now Smackdown is using their roster better. Each female has their own character and individual personality quirks. In case you didn't know I am a huge fan of Naomi who while still improving has come a long way. Also the WWE needs to grow the hell up, before the woman's money in the bank match they played a video package discussing woman who were trailblazers. Mae Young, Jacqueline, Lisa, Trish Stratus, Alundra Blaze, and Beth Phoenix among others were touted as trailblazers. Left out was none other than Chyna, despite her personal problems and her strained relationship with Triple H she was the true trailblazer and woman of many first in WWE and deserves all the credit in the world.
   The tag team division is doing pretty good right now. The Usos who I love their heel persona and the line “It’s not paranoia..it’s the Usos!!” Btw I’m waiting on a t-shirt with that slogan. I wish they would be given more mic time because they bring a different aspect to their promos. Breezango have resurrected their careers when they were finally given a chance. I don't always catch their type of humor but it works for them. Of course who doesn't love the New Day who can be overly corny but are all talented. Sadly American Alpha and the Colons both talented teams are spinning their wheels at the moment. Poor  Ascension they had a good thing going in Nxt that just hasn't translated on the main stage.
    I can't go without mentioning the current MVP Kevin Owens and the current hands down best wrestler in the WWE and maybe all of wrestling AJ Styles. They look to start a feud over the US title and both should bring out the best in one another. I wouldn't mind seeing a best of 7 series between them much like Booker T. Vs. Chris Benoit for the Tv title back in the WCW days, or Matt Hardy vs MVP during the mid 2000s Smackdown era. Those matches probably would be epic
   For the rest of the Smackdown roster with guys like Dolph  Ziggler, Nakamura, Sami Zayn, and Baron Corbin on their side they’ll have consistent quality matches but it’ll always be against each other. The WWE has to figure out a way to give all of those guys something meaningful to do. Mike and Maria Kanellis just debuted and it looks like their act is over the top, so in love it makes you sick heels. Mike would be a good fresh opponent for Sami or Nakamura, hell even Randy Orton may be a good foil to Mike. With John Cena returning and no one for him to go against maybe Dolph or Baron could benefit from a feud with Cena.
   These are my random thoughts on the WWE at the moment, I’ll surely be offering my thoughts on current events in the future.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment