Sunday, July 15, 2018

Yeah, I Work in IT

I often hear people tell me I’m a “computer wiz” when they ask me a computer question, and expect me to have a answer right away. Well sorry to tell you I’m not, yeah I work in IT but that doesn’t mean I can save all your worlds problems.
 When people hear you work in IT, the expectation is that I can fix your computer, develop your website, build your app that’s going to be the next big thing, hack into your bank account, program the computer chip in your car and so much more.
  Yeah I could probably learn to code and develop apps, but so much time is spent telling people what I don’t do in IT. I can’t find the time to learn the tricks of other trades.
   I work in PC and network repair/support, the lowly guys who are ignored until someone needs their computer fixed. The guys who don’t get any recognition on shows such as “Silicon Valley”. The backbone of organizations the network engineers, server admins, infrastructure admins, that allow the coders at Facebook, Google, and Apple to create exciting new products, apps, and features for your enjoyment.
   Yeah, I could fix your issue but sometimes after a long day or workweek I really don’t feel like taking apart your computer.
Yeah, I work in IT but I’m pretty sure you and I know that paper jam is the reason your report isn’t printing, and know the resolution.
    Yeah, you can call me but honestly you could google it yourself and find out why your phone isn’t streaming your playlist on Spotify.
    IT is a broad field that covers several subfields, so next time you come across someone who works in IT security don’t automatically assume they can tell you about crypto currency. Yeah, they probably could but sometimes they don’t feel like that shit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment