Monday, August 27, 2018

Playing Catch Up



We all struggle with something be it something physical, mental, roadblocks, money, addiction anything. It’s a part of human nature it’s what we do. It makes us better people when we overcome the struggle.
 My brother hosted a radio show where he encouraged folks to share a few things they struggle with to help overcome those struggles. That inspired me to write this blog about something I struggle with and I'm not sure many people struggle with it.
  I know it’s a mental struggle but it is very real to me. I struggle with timing, not time management but timing as in I feel like I'm behind on time and accomplishments based on my age and decisions I've made in my life.
  For example I finished high school in 2004, unsure of what to do with myself I worked until returning to school in 2006 and completing my associate's in 2008. After 9 years I returned to school last year to complete my bachelor's. I'm on track to finish in 2020 which honestly the way timeflies nowadays is around the corner. However I put myself on a aggressive schedule to finish in a attempt to “catch up”
  Now some people will say what’s wrong with that, but to me I often sit back and think if I just went to college right out of high school and got my 4 year degree I would be better off right now and college would be a afterthought.
  Another example after receiving my associates in 2008 I didn’t get a job in my field until 2013. While I’ve progressed at my job in the 5 years I’ve been there in the back of mind I think had I did this at that point, I would be here now doing that instead of what I’m currently doing.
  Don’t get me wrong, I have a very blessed life that I am thankful for. I have enjoyed myself, I’ve traveled frequently and seen what the world has to offer, did some bucket list items. Got married and bought a home, make a good living but  at times I wonder am I being ungrateful as there are others in my age group in less fortunate circumstances then I am.
  I also have to remind myself that in those years the path I took gave me a lot of life lessons. It provided me with work knowledge on how to deal with certain types of people or situations in the workplace. The path also allowed me to come across some great people that took me under their wing and are family now. If I didn’t make the decisions I did not really knowing what to do with myself, I wouldn’t have met those people who taught me things about life.
  I suffer from doing more and playing catch up. I need to do more, and I need to catch up for things I didn’t do in my twenties that I should have. No matter how many stories I hear of successful people who didn’t hit their stride until their mid thirties or later. I’m always thinking if made this one move some odd years ago I’d be even better. It’s a constant struggle of mine and I’m not sure how to overcome it.

1 comment:

  1. That’s good Son but you are right we’re your supposed to be you are not behind.

    ReplyDelete