Monday, October 14, 2019

The Classic that is My Brother and Me



Twenty-five Years ago Nickelodeon debuted "My Brother and Me" showcasing a middle class Black family in Charlotte, NC
and the hijinks of the kids in the family.
It's historic as it was the first show on Nickelodeon to feature a primarily Black cast. The show is definitely a product of it's time straight 90's funny yet looking back some of aspects of it are very very corny. 

At the time of its release I simply watched the show because I enjoyed it. Looking back now I realize how important the show was to the Black community. The show is a milestone in my eyes because of course we had the Cosbys and "Family Matters", but "My Brother and Me" was actually the first show featuring a Black family where the kids were around my age getting into shit. I could relate to some of their problems they had or even the sibling rivarly all siblings go through.

The show introduced the world to a young Amanda Seales, Kim Whitley as Ms. Pickney in one of her first roles. Vanessa Baden who is more famously known as Kyra from Kenan and Kel and Vanessa from Gullah Gullah Island made her debut on the show. Pro wrestler Kenny King made his tv debut on an episode as a cool kid from LA.

Related image


The show was also unapologetically Black when that necessarily wasn't the norm. The dialogue, the opening credits.
The way the characters talked, little nods to Black culture on the sets such as the Greek memorabilia in the Parkers living room.
The father with the corny jokes or long ass stories which we've all experienced and I'm worried I may grow into.
The show contained so much authenticity for the culture,it's beyond a crime it didn't last longer.



Who can forget classic episodes such as Dee Dee getting bullied and the famous line "Hit Me",
basketball tryouts and the famous "Goo Punch" scene we all sung along to, wishing we were shilling our own product
Dee Dee being very impressionable in an attempt to be cool getting a wild haircut
Life lesson episodes such as stepping out of your comfort zone in the Robin Hood episode.

Image result for my brother and me cast


If for some reason you have never seen it, do yourself a favor and check out the clips on YouTube or buy the dvd of the show
You'll thank yourself later,

My Brother and Me only lasted one season but has left a legacy for a lifetime.

0 comments:

Post a Comment