Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Streaming Wishlist: Disney Plus

 



Disney Plus is the most popular streaming app released within the last three years. In the world of streaming hierarchy its Netflix, Hulu, and then Disney Plus. Which is kind of funny in itself because Disney owns Hulu, so their just raking in the dough. 

Disney has propelled Disney Plus to the top tier by using their library, and family friendly films from Fox Studios which they bought. Powered by Disney classics, Marvel, and Star Wars Disney plus has something for everyone. Even with all that great content there's still some favorites of mine missing from the app.

While fresh content is slim pickings right now due to the actors strike. Here's some old favorites I wish Disney Plus would air.

Not Quite Human film series



Not Quite Human is a Disney Channel original starring Alan Thicke, Robin Lively and Jay Underwood. In the film Alan Thicke is a widowed scientist who manages to create a life sized android that's a teenager. Of course that leads to a traditional fish out of water tale, with the hijinks of a robot interacting with real teenagers. 

The film was popular enough to gain two additional sequels Not Quite Human II and Still Not Quite Human and its been well over 20 years since I've seen any of them. Disney needs to make this available. 

Escape To Witch Mountain '95 remake



The Escape To Witch Mountain films were very popular in the 1970's. The story of two alien twins who were seperated upon arriving on earth and reconnect to save humanity. During the 90's ABC use to air The Disney Sunday Movie which consisted of Disney classics and original TV movies.

In 1995 a TV-movie was made to update the story to the then contemporary times. Starring Elizabeth Moss and Erik Von Detten as the twins. With Robert Vaughn, Vincent Schiavelli, and Sam Horrigan rounding out the cast.  I'm sure if I were to watch it today, it hasn't aged well and would be very cringey. I don't care, I loved the movie as a kid and would love to watch it again.


 In fact throw the 1995 TV-movie version of Freaky Friday up there as well. Starring Shelly Long and Gaby Hoffmann. The story follows the same plot points as the 1977 original starring Jodie Foster and Barbara Harris, and the 2003 film starring Lindsay Lohan and Jamie Lee Curtis. Both the original and the 2003 version are on Disney Plus, so let's add this one and enjoy spotting differences of the three of different eras.

Tower of Terror



I was shocked when I found out this wasn't on Disney plus for Halloween, that in itself is a crime. Starring Steve Guttenberg and Kristen Dunst. The TV-movie has the distinction of being the first Disney movie based on one of their attractions. It follows Guttenberg and Dunst as a uncle-niece duo investigating the strange occurence at a mysterious hotel. It's part supernatural, part whodunit, but it's a wild ride and should be highlighted on Disney Plus. Especially during spooky season. 

Dumbo's Circus



I honestly don't know why I want to watch this again. My only logical explanation is this is a clear case of nostalgia, since I remember watching the show when I was around 5 or 6 and I haven't seen it since. I would probably watch a couple episodes with my daughter, but that'd be about it. 

New MMC 


I use to watch the New Mickey Mouse Club faithfully every afternoon.I really don't remember the skits being super hilarious, but the 7 year old me just found the entire cast cool as hell. Little did I know just like others that before the decade would end, four members of the cast would go on to be pop music superstars. JC Chasez, Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake, other cast members Rhona Bennett, Ryan Gosling and Keri Russell made their splash in Hollywood. For those reasons alone, the New MMC episodes should be on the service.

They did cover a lot of songs during the various episodes so the music rights maybe a hold up. Last I checked Disney has the pockets to work it out should they choose too. Honestly with Britney Spear's recent book releasing and the surrounding Justin Timberlake scandal behind it, people may want to watch just to see how it all started. 

Polly (pollyanna remake) 


Polly starring Keisha Knight Pulliam and Phylicia Rashad is based on the book Pollayanna by Eleanor H. Porter. It features recently orphaned Polly moving in with her strict aunt, Polly's youthful optimist personality clashes with her aunts stri3ct demeanor. Polly also helps segerated parts of their small town come together.

I remember the movie mainly being an musical. I wouldn't mind seeing this again and think it would a good addition to Disney Plus. For historical purposes and entertainment value. 

Famous Jett Jackson


This series recently celebrated its 25th anniversary. Now I'll admit I was a little late to the Jett Jackson party, but once I hopped onboard I couldn't get enough of the show. 

The premise featured a child TV star Jett Jackson played by Lee Thompson Young, who moves back to his small hometown and has his very successful show filmed there. He may have been a young successful Hollywood star, but he got into the same hijinks and had the same issues as regular kids. The show ran for three seasons and just celebrated its 25th anniversary. I would love to rewatch all 65 episodes again and sing along to the theme song.

The Four Diamonds



The Four Diamonds is a sad yet inspiring movie and sadly a Disney TV movie many have never heard of. Based on a true story, it stars Tom Guiry better known as Smalls from The Sandlot as a young teen battling cancer. As part of a school assignment and to help cope with his illness, he writes a short story inspired by the legend of Arthur. One thing I remember most about this movie, is it will get you in your feels.

Mother Goose Rock n Rhyme


Mother Goose Rock n Rhyme was a Disney Channel original movie released in 1990. Starring Shelly Duval, the basic purpose of the movie was to update Mother Goose rhymes to modern times. With many of the rhymes being hip hop influenced, and several cameos by the "hot" musicians of that time. I just want to watch this so I can sing Mother Goose songs to my daughter, but I'm sure a new generation would appreticate this gem as well. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment