Friday, April 12, 2024

G.I. Joe Next Movie Should Be A Cartoon

 


During Cinemacon yesterday, Paramount announced that a crossover film between Transformers and G.I. Joe is in development. If you've seen the latest Transformers movie Rise Of The Beast you remember the potential for this was teased.

I enjoyed G.I. Joe The Rise Of Cobra and appreciate it for what it is, essentially a live action movie. My biggest gripe with the film was Cobra's origin story and esthetic changes. Retaliation was a more grounded in reality, had some good action scenes, and set some things right from the first film (Cobra's look), but for whatever reason the majority of audience's didn't enjoy it.

After the failure of both G.I. Joe films and the 2021 Snake Eyes film, my guess is this is Paramount's attempt to salvage the G.I. Joe film franchise. I personally think the live action route is not the way to go for the franchise to move it forward. To get the franchise popular again an animated movie needs to happen.


An animated film would allow the G.I. Joe universe to be as over the top as possible and take more liberties to bring the mythology up to date.  And maybe incorporate some of the wackier aspects of the lore such as Serpentor and his clones. Incorporate some good humor and a core group of Joe's and it could work.

An animated film worked for the Ninja Turtles franchise last summer, it was Fresh and entertaining. And I'm waiting for a part 2. Paramount has an animated Transformers movie releasing in theaters later this year called Transformers One and starring Chris Hemsworth. Even though the live action film keeps falling through, Masters of the Universe has experienced some rejuvenation from the Netflix cartoon series.

If the masterminds at Paramount or potentially the future masterminds if the company is indeed bought, are truly trying to gain more ground and use IP's to their full advantage. They will make a G.I. Joe animated film.

0 comments:

Post a Comment