Tuesday, October 1, 2024

10 Of My Must Watch Spooky Season Movies



 


It's spooky season! Besides the decorations, carved pumpkins, and lot's and lot's of candy. Spooky season always brings us to catching up on horror favorites or checking out a new horror movie. For this blog I decided to share my ten Halloween movies I must find the time to watch, every year.


10. Vampire In Brooklyn


I love a good vampire movie, and despite what critics and haters may say Vampire In Brooklyn is a very good vampire movie. Argue with your mother if you feel otherwise, but it serves it's purpose. It may not be Eddie Murphy's best work, but it was a perfect blend of comedy and horror. The make up for Eddie's character Max was top notch, and the story touched upon and left a goldmine of an idea on the table. Black Caribbean Vampires and Max trying to preserve his race, perfect fodder for a legacy sequel. 

9. Beetlejuice


Not sure if it's Michael Keaton's performance, or the rendition of Harry Belafonte's Jump In The Line, Shake Senora that make the movie infectious. Either way it just is, it has comedy, world building with how the undead operate and is surprisingly timeless. The film has spawned a cartoon, broadway musical, and just released last month a sequel. Which highlights the movie is a classic and must be watched every year.

8. Monster House


I was twenty years old when Monster House released, I enjoyed it then and I enjoy it now. I really think if I was a kid when it released, you couldn't tell me it's not the greatest movie ever. It has the tropes of the old creepy neighbor, neighborhood rumors, and that house. Oh man something is up with that house, and the legends behind it are believable. It's a great movie for kid's with just enough scares but nothing gruesome, and adult's will enjoy it too. Hench why I watch it every year.

7. Zombieland


I'll admit I've never gotten into zombies, even when The Walking Dead was probably the most popular show on earth I didn't watch it. Zombieland however is one good funny ass movie, starring Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone, and Abigail Breslin. The movie is part road trip, part survival movie as the quartet hit the road in hopes of reaching a city free of zombies. It's hilarious and the few action scenes don't disappoint. When it's on, I take a break from whatever I'm doing and watch it.

6. Final Destination


The original Final Destination released in 2000 was legitimately the last movie, for a good 10 plus years that had me on the edge of my seat and scared (The Conjuring released in 2013 took that spot).  The story and as a result the murders in the movie were very unique and a bit believable. The sequels are hit or miss in my opinion, but 20 plus years later I watch this every year like it's my first time seeing it.

5. Fright Night


1985's Fright Night is an unapologetic 80's movie, a true product of it's time. It's campy as well, and has some undertones that leave you not sure if the filmmakers intended to have it that way or not. Outside of that it's a damn good vampire movie, about a horror film obsessed young man who suspects things are not quite right with his new neighbor.

4. People Under The Stairs


Wes Craven's 1991 film The People Under The Stairs is his best work outside of the original Nightmare on Elm Street and hell that is debatable in my opinion. The film stars Brandon Adams as a young boy through some mishaps, finds himself trapped inside the house of some psychotic occupants. He set's out to escape and save those trapped in the house done wrong. I didn't realize until I got older the movie has a strong socio-political message about racism, the effects of certain economic policies on lower-income citizens, and gentrification among others. It's really a dope movie with a dope message. 

3. Killer Klowns From Outer Space 



Sure it's campy, the plot quite absurd and the production low budget, but damnit the film works. Alien clowns come to earth and wreck havoc on a small town. What could embrace the spooky and wildness of spooky season than that? The movie actually has some very creative death scenes due to the nature of the  villains. It's campy, it's B-movie grade, and it works. 

2. Ghostbusters I and II


This maybe considered cheating, cause it's two films but oh well. The original Ghostbusters film and it's sequel I can watch year round all the time. However during spooky season both are getting multiple views from me like I've never seen them before. Besides the films themselves, you can't miss the theme song during this time of year. It has a stranglehold on pop culture 40 years later for a reason.

1. The Lost Boys 


Let's be honest some vampire movies may have better plots or special effects, or gore. It's just one problem, none of those films are The Lost Boys. To me  The Lost Boys is the epitome of  a cool ass film, let alone a Vampire film. Keifer Sutherland as head vampire David oozes a charming but vicious demeanor. The rock and rap medley of the late 80's is in force here, and the beach front town provides a different aesthetic from other vampire movies of the time. I can quote the film like it's second nature, and the third act at the house is still one of the better horror film third acts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment