Monday, February 5, 2024

Ten Favorite Bobby Brown Songs

 Bobby Brown is undoubtedly the king of the stage. Watching clips from his heyday he had stage prescence, charisma and the moves. We can't forget the moves as he made his foot work light work. I've seen him twice with New Edition and saw him last month perform solo for the first time, and while he can't dance like he use to. He still is one of the coldest ever to grace the stage.

 Watching him perform you can definitely tell Usher and Chris Brown were inspired by him. With both giving him his flowers in recent years. Its no doubt in my mind if he didnt have his demons and consistently made quality albums. He would be in the convo as an all-time great. Hell he may have performed at a super bowl.

He dropped four solo albums in his 40 year career, while everyone knows Don't Be Cruel and Bobby dont sleep on his first album King Of The Stage

I am a big New Edition and Bobby Brown fan and figured since it's the king's bday  I'd share 10 of my favorite Bobby Brown songs.

10. Humpin' Around


The lead single off his 1992 Bobby album, the song is high energy with a heavy bass and drum influence. The brilliant thing about the song is that you are so busy you probably miss the meaning of the song. The song is about one partner in a relationship suspecting the other is cheating. While the accused is telling them pump your breaks.

The music video involves a lot of dancing and I won't lie when that song comes on I do my fair share. Especially when I convince myself I can dance to it and burn some calories.

9. My Prerogative

My Prerogative is really about blocking out the noise, living life and doing what you makes you happen. Bobby has said it is his favorite song he's ever done, and knowing what his life was like when he made the Don't Be Cruel album was made. I can totally see where he's coming from, for me though it's a cool Bobby B. song but nowhere near a top tier favorite.

8. Rock Wit'cha


Bobby along with Babyface who produced the song, had to show folks he had range. Which he display's in the song, it's a totally 80's song. Soft and sensual, Bobby let's the lady in his life know he's down to party. The backing instruments and the fade out of the chorus repeating "I want to Rock" just give's this song the chef's kiss.

7. Good Enough


Following up on showing range, Bobby let Babyface produce another hit for him on this track. This could be a sequel to Rock Wit'cha in my opinion. On the previous song, he just wanted to party all night, on this one he confesses if he's not up to par in many ways. He will work as hard a possible to make things right.

The drum heavy set helps drive home the tropical feeling of the song as well.

6. I'll Be Good


I first heard this song on an episode of 227 that Bobby Brown guest starred in. He showed that masterful footwork in his dancing scene that episode. It wasn't until I got older and actually listened to the Don't Be Cruel album I realized how much this song hits. It's 100% contains that New Jack Swing sound which makes sense since Teddy Riley produced it and is quite funky, you have no choice but to get up and dance to this song. I often wonder why a actual music video was never made for this one.

5. Every Little Step


An uptemo feel good  drum heavy New Jack Swing song about weathering the storm of relationships. Every Little Step will have everyone in a chokehold on the dance floor. The video that introduced everyone to the gumby haircut and the roger rabbit dance. The choreography in the music video, will have everyone trying to be as slick as Bobby Brown. No matter how much you try to resist you, you will bop hard to this.

4. I'll Really Love You Girl


Talk about an underrated album cut. This song is it, I'm still really confused why it was never released as a single. Everything just comes together and blends so well with this song, from Bobby's vocals to the cohesiveness of the instruments on the beat. Simply put this is one smooth track across the board. Here is the song for those who have never heard it, it deserves to be more well known and on quiet storm type radio programs everywhere. 

3. Roni


Bobby's most popular ballad and it's easy to see why. L.A. Reid and Babyface struck gold again with the production on this. The background horns and drums make a perfect combination to create this soothing beat. This is the type of song that a guy can use to sweep a woman off her feet if he plays his cards right. The whispery soulful of the background vocals helps bring home the sensual vibe. 30 plus years later Roni still has a gripe on ear lobes when its played.

2. On Our Own


If there is one Bobby Brown song that is without question my shit!!! it is this one. Released as a single for the 1989 Ghostbusters II soundtrack, this is another banger produced by L.A. Reid and Babyface. If you've ever heard it I shouldn't really have to explain why it is the shit. If for some reason you've never heard it, play it and let me know how long you go before tapping your feet. 

1. Don't Be Cruel


Now honestly I debated on one and two because they both just hit on all cylinders in my opinion. When I sat and thought about it what else could be number 1 but Don't Be Cruel? This song never gets old and everything just came together so flawlessly with this one. Even from the prelude track that proceeds the actual song, with it's haunting vocals. Then when the beat drops man it's game over from there.

Another masterpiece by Babyface and L.A. Reid, the lyrics, the beat, Bobby's rap. It's simple Don't Be Cruel is infectious as whole. I use to wear this song out playing GTA: San Andreas riding around town. I've actually danced to the choreography on this track when I call myself trying to do light exercise. At times my toddler daughter joins me in and always repeats "Don't Be, Don't Be". Which should tell you how impactful the song is. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment