Monday, February 26, 2024

Ten Things That Made Me Realize I'm Washed

 

There comes a time when we all realize we're not as hip as we use to be. I've been washed for a few years now, the closer I get to forty the more I realize how out of tune I am with certain things. While at the same thing appreciating the little things that really bring me join.



Here are a ten things that mame me realize I am officially washed.

10. Current Music


I have no idea who today's rappers are. When I think about it, I havent really been intuned with the music landscape since I turned 30. I know of a few rappers that todays young bulls listen to, but chances are I can't tell you an album or song of there's. When I do hear their music..I really dont know wtf they are talking about. Coming to this realization made me aware of why when I was in my 20's, older guys I knew that were in their late 20's/early 30's stayed in their era of music which was 90's and maybe early 2000's rap and left it at that.

9. Today's slang. 

I will admit I was a little slow to realize what no cap or cappin meant. That something slaps is the equivalent of something is hitting/the bomb which was the slang when I was coming up. I had to ask what the hell tweakin meant.

8. Gen-Z coworkers 



I work with a couple of gen-z'ers and they make me feel washed just about everyday. Referencing songs or movies and TV shows that aren't necessarily old, but they were just too young to appreciate when these items debuted.

Really stings when they don't get the joke or don't know a song. One of the most humbling experiences out there.


7. I need to bundle up


When I was in my 20's I could wear a hoodie in 20 degree weather and be absolutely fine. Now, if it's 35 degrees I need my coat zipped all the way up and a hat on my head. Gloves I honestly don't need unless I'm outside for an extended period of time.

6. I'm too old for this


I just turned 38 the end of January and find myself always saying what I'm too old for. Whether it's too much noise, unnecessary loud music, something I just don't feel like doing or don't want to be bothered with.

I'm quick to quip "I'm too old for this kind of shit."

5. 2 Hr movies are iffy



When I sit down to watch a new movie, if the Runtime is 2 hours or more. I may just have to revisit watching that movie. Especially if I start it after 9:00 pm, there is a strong possibility I'll fall asleep on the movie.

4. Love tending to my yard 


Right now I am anxiously anticipating the weather to break and spring to come. I have a list of outdoor to do list already made. I know where I need to reseed, what mulch I want. Should I put landscape rocks in a particular location?

When the weather is consistenly nice I find reasons to tend to the yard. It has become my sanctuary,even though cutting the grass every 2 weeks can kick rocks.

3. I enjoy the supermarket


Unless it is just super busy such as an upcoming holiday or I maybe pressed for time. I enjoy a casual stroll through supermarkets eyeing different products that I may try for a recipe. Or even better finding something on sale or meat marked down. I worked in a grocery store for ten years I know how to carefully analyze the marked down meat.

2. Home Stores brighten My Day


Strolling home stores brings me even more joy than the supermarket.  I love walking into Lowes and Home Depot and just looking at the tools, new grill I dont need. Appliances I know I won't buy or walk around the garden department.

Man walking into a HomeSense or Homegoods for some hidden gems just soothes my soul.

1. I love my couch



I've always been a homebody, but the older I get I appreciate it even more. My goal every weekend is to spend an significant amount of time on the couch doing absolutely nothing.

Even if I take a mid day nap on the couch I feel accomplished. Some weekends I never get to sit on the couch, other weekends I may get a hour or so. Then there are the weekends my dream is fulfilled and I'm on the couch for eternity. It's the personification of the simple things making one happy in life and I really appreciate it.


0 comments:

Post a Comment